Now that English strawberries are starting to appear in the supermarkets and grocers, it is time to make my favourite Muffins! Along with all muffin recipes, there are a couple of tricks to make them foolproof ~ It is important to measure the baking powder accurately, and even more importantly: once you mix the dry and wet ingredients together, the quicker you are at getting them muffins in the oven, the better they will turn out!
- 320 g Plain Flour
- 185 g Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 Free Range Eggs
- 60 g Butter, melted and cooled
- 250 ml milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract/Essence
- 170 g White Chocolate Chips (I like to use those made by Hotel Chocolat)
- 120 g Chopped Fresh Strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Fit paper liners into a Muffin Tray (to make 12 standard muffins.)
- Sift the flour, sugar and baking powder into a large bowl and mix well.
- In another bowl beat the eggs, butter, milk and vanilla until blended.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour/sugar/baking powder mix, and combine quickly (it doesn’t matter if it is lumpy or has dry bits…)
- Gently fold in the chocolate and strawberries.
- Fill the prepared muffin cases about three-quarters full, and place in the oven.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the muffins are coloured on the top. Resist the temptation to open the oven for the first 15 minutes.
- When cooked, transfer to a wire rack for cooling.